The Contipro 4SPIN C4S Lab 1 is a desktop laboratory device used in the nanofiber production and the preparation of nanofiber layers from solutions of biopolymers and synthetic polymers. It is a highly modular device composed of specially designed components. Selected process parameters are completely controlled by a central control system with intuitive handling based on a touch screen and multi-function button.
The device has nine fundamentally different types of emitters (jets) and four different types of collector units. The emitters are connected to a high voltage source and a dispensing mechanism containing the spinning mixture. Most emitters are also accompanied by air ducts feeding air at a controlled speed and temperature to the area immediately around the nozzle throat.
These additional process parameters significantly expand the opportunities for experimentation offered by the device and play a significant role in the creation and formation of fibers, as well as in the attainment of the required morphological parameters of the materials prepared.
- the setting of a high voltage up to 60 kV
- automatic configuration of collector distance automatic discharge of residual charge
- regulation of the flow velocity and air heating with "electroblowing"
- monitoring and measurement of conditions during the nanofiber production process
- easy-to-grasp intuitive control, with the option of saving data to a PC
- an integrated dispensing system with the possibility of inserting syringes with varying volumes of solution (10, 20 and 30 ml)
- precise configuration of rotating collector speeds to affect the degree to which nanofiber structures are aligned (97% uniaxially-aligned fibers)
- a unique fiber collecting mechanism – the capacity to generate 3D structures, used, for example, to create scaffolds for biomedical use
The device's functionality comprises its capacity to spin a wide range of materials while achieving identical properties when the process is repeated. Samples prepared from biopolymers and synthetic polymers, with a low scatter range reported by the morphological parameters of fibrous materials, are proof of this.
The device's efficiency lies in its powerful jets with a nanofiber production capacity approaching pilot production levels. Activities carried out on 4SPIN laboratory equipment subsequently make the transition, without major complication, to larger operational scales, i.e. with significant cost savings.
In the development of the device, considerable attention was paid to controllability, i.e. the ability to function without placing major demands on operators and the knowledge they require. For example, the mechanism for dispensing the mixture is integrated into the device and is fully controlled by a central system. After short initial training for operators, the device can start spinning immediately without any further assistance. Naturally, this is also accompanied by low and very easy maintenance of the device and its components. The overall appearance of the device (a protected design) has been designed to provide unrestricted access to the deposition chamber when replacing electrodes and handling samples. The entire chamber is easy to maintain for use in sterile rooms.
The reliability of the device is guaranteed by the careful selection of tried and tested components. This ensures that the functions required of the device will work within the limits of the specified technical conditions without compromising the operating parameters, both in and after the guarantee period.
Safety features, such as an electronically controlled door lock and an automatic discharge mechanism for residual charges on the electrodes, are a guarantee of occupational safety.